Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tremor- Earthquake

This entry will not be as nearly as profound as reflecting on feminism, political parties and government but rather the reality of living in a beautiful country that lays on a fault line. Since my arrival there have been reports that there were two very mild tremor (earthquakes). I did not feel these at all. Today however is another story.

During a meeting today the women we were meeting with looked at Cherelle and I and asked us if we could feel "it". I said "what". The answered "the earth".  Once I concentrated a bit you could feel a sensation like a vibration and for you lady friends of mine, think of the massage chairs when you get a pedicure and there is the mild vibration. So at first I was like wow cool I am in Chile experiencing my first earthquake. Then my heart sank into my stomach because the vibration became a short shake followed by another stronger shake and returned to a vibration and then ended. Cherelle and I held hands and the women we were meeting with were calm and told us not to worry. 

To put in perspective it all lasted no more then one minute. There were many feelings and reactions one can have in one minute. After that minute it was business as usual.  I was struck by the very matter of a fact way that everyone handle "it". To them it was a very mid tremor to me it was an earthquake. I was like does anyone else need a moment here or was I the only dramatic one that saw her life flash before her eyes in Santiago (okay a little dramatic but trying to share the craziness of my emotions at the time).

Interestingly enough it was totally a calm reaction there were no alarms, no leaving the building, just wait till it is over and return to business as usual.  I thought about the over reaction we would have in the states: once it was safe- everyone would need to evacuate the building, engineers, firefighters would need to determine it safe to return inside. People rushing to their children's school etc.

Well let's just say that it is not an experience I would like repeat- but an experience to remember none the less.

We have talked quite a bit with those everyone about the earthquake in February. It occurred at approximately 3:30am- so many folks were in bed at the time. The strength and duration of the earthquake was what folks share with you.  many explain not being able to move because every time you tried to stand up you just feel down and it felt like it was never going to end.

With the earthquake, the miners, a history of building a democracy from a dictatorship the Chilean people are incredibly resilient and strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment